Skip to main content

France warns of bloody Brexit talks battle

MENA

France on Sunday warned Britain to expect a bitter, bloody battle in Brexit trade talks with the EU, saying the two sides would “rip each other apart”.
Negotiations for a deal on future EU-UK relations are not due to start until next month, but London and Brussels have already clashed over rules for British financial firms’ access to the EU after Brexit.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves le Drian said it would be tough to achieve Britain’s aim of agreeing on a free trade deal by the end of the year, with the two sides far apart on a range of issues.
“I think that on trade issues and the mechanism for future relations, which we are going to start on, we are going to rip each other apart,” Le Drian said at the Munich Security Conference.
“But that is part of negotiations, everyone will defend their own interests.”
Britain formally left the EU two weeks ago but still trades like a member under a transition period ticking down to the end of this year.
The remaining 27 EU states are currently drawing up their mandate for the talks on the future relationship, with France, in particular, pushing for a strong stance, notably on the vexed question of fishing.
France and several other countries want to be able to keep fishing in British waters, while London wants full autonomy and limited access for European fishermen.
“Let’s hope the talks are done as quickly as possible, but there are a lot of issues and some difficult points to deal with,” said Le Drian, who is from the important French fishing region of Brittany.
The bloc’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier has said the EU’s top priorities are fishing, security and maintaining fair trading conditions for European companies.
In a sign of the likely bruising exchanges ahead, Barnier this week told London not to kid itself about EU access for its prized financial services sector.
Barnier firmly rejected a British suggestion that the City of London companies could be given broad, permanent access to EU markets without conditions.
Before the January 31 exit from the EU, Britain said it wanted an ambitious and comprehensive accord with the European bloc.
But since then, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government has dialled back, signalling it is willing to accept trade friction in return for sovereignty.
Source:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020: See Full List Of Winners At The Soundcity MVP Awards

Tiwa Savage The 2020 Soundcity MVP Award Festival has just come to an end, and it saw many of our favourites picking up an award or two. The event which was held at the Eko Convention Center, Lagos Nigeria, was hosted by South Africa’s finest media personality  Bonang Matheba  was the host of the event. See the full list of 2020 Soundcity MVP Award Festival 2020 winners below. Best New MVP FireBoy DML ( NG ) JoeBoy ( NG ) Marioo ( TZ ) Rema (NG) – Winner Simmy ( SA ) Wendy Shay ( GH ) Best Collaboration Blow My Mind – Davido [ NG ] Daz How Star Do – Skibii [ NG ] Gugulethu – Prince Kaybee [SA] – Winner Jama – DJ Mic Smith [ GH ] Killin Dem – Burna Boy [ NG ] Inama – Diamond PlatNumz [ TZ ] Best Pop Innos B [ CG ] Nandy [ TZ ] JoeBoy [NG] – Winner Otile Brown [ KE ] Kizz Daniel [ NG ] Teni [ NG ] Mayorkun [ NG ] Rayvanny [ TZ ] Naira Marley [ NG ] Best Hip Hop BlaqBonez ( NG ) Falz ( NG ) KHALIGRAPH Jones (KE) – W...

Coronavirus: Japan set to repatriate 200 citizens from Wuhan

Japan will send a chartered flight to the central Chinese city of Wuhan later in the day to repatriate about 200 of its citizens, the government says. The government will also send doctors, nurses and quarantine officers so that those Japanese citizens can undergo checkups on a plane, according to the health ministry. The aircraft is scheduled to come back to Japan on Wednesday, Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi says. Since a total of 650 Japanese in Wuhan wish to return, the government will send more flights to take them home, Motegi says. China and countries around the world are scrambling to contain the spread of the coronavirus that has killed at least 106 people and infected more than 4,500. Germany has reported its first case of the virus, as the U.S., and Canada upgraded travel warnings to advise their citizens to avoid all non-essential travel to China. More than 56 million people in almost 20 Chinese cities – including Wuhan, capital of Hubei Province and the epicentre of the...

Messi & Ronaldo Pen Emotional Tributes For Kobe Bryant And Daughter

Kobe Bryant Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are among many in the global football community who paid tribute to Bryant and his daughter. Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna were among several people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday. Drafted 13th overall in 1996 out of Lower Merion High School outside of Philadelphia, Bryant was a five-time NBA champion, a two-time NBA Finals MVP and the 2008 NBA MVP. The 18-time All-Star retired in 2016 after 20 seasons in the league, all with the Los Angeles Lakers. Reacting to the sad news,  Ronaldo wrote,  "So sad to hear the heartbreaking news of the deaths of Kobe and his daughter Gianna. Kobe was a true legend and inspiration to so many. Sending my condolences to his family and friends and the families of all who lost their lives in the crash. RIP Legend."   "I have no words... All my love for Kobe's family and friends. It was a pleasure to meet you and share good times together. We were a gen...